Smell is arguably our most powerful sense. Good and bad smells help tell us about our environment. If we are getting ready to eat some leftovers, we smell them first to see if they are bad or not. When it comes to our homes, whether it smells good or bad gives us signals as to how clean or dirty it is. We have 5 tips for you on how to keep your house smelling good all the time.
Here’s our tips:
1. Keep it clean
- If you have a litter box be sure to keep it clean all the time.
- Replace open garbage cans with garbage cans that have lids.
- Clean out the fridge and get rid of rotting food then scrub it clean at least every other week.
- Clean your soft surfaces. Upholstery, pillows, bedding, carpets, and curtains can hold on to smells for a long time.
- Pull out appliances and clean under them and inside of them. There could be rotting food under there.
2. Open your windows
Opening your windows is the fastest way to bring in fresh air. It’s a great way to clean out lingering cooking smells or home improvement smells. If it’s possible, open a windows on the opposite sides of the house so you can get a good cross breeze through the house.
3. Use odor eliminators
Our Odor Eliminating Wax Collection neutralizes odors and fills your home with the finest home fragrance. High-quality fragrance oils, soy blend wax, and our proprietary odor-eliminating component are combined in clean, fresh fragrances like Island Paradise, Sun-Dried Linen, Tropical Citrus, and more. Our wax melts are poured in the U.S.A. Odor Eliminator attracts malodors like a magnet. Odors bond and are eliminated. These Odor Eliminating Wax Melts are easy to use with our beautiful fragrance warmers.
4. Use essential oils
Making homemade refreshing sprays with essential oils is a natural way you can deodorize your home. Use this spray on your upholstery and clothing to help eliminate odors. Here is our favorite refreshing spray recipe:
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil
Mix together in a spray bottle and shake before each use.
5. Choose the right scent
It’s a misconception that in order to make your house smell good, the smell needs to overwhelm the room. That’s not true. You want your home to encourage energy or relaxation. You want your home to be inviting to everyone who is visiting so it’s a good idea to stay away from overpowering scents. Scents like woods, citrus, or florals are great scents to help please everyone.