State Resale Numbers
Resale numbers (name varies by state, but this is the number your company uses when they submit sales tax to their individual state) are issued by state governments. Typically, you apply for a number from your state’s tax agency, which issues you a resale license, permit, or certificate bearing the number. Then, when you make purchases that aren’t subject to sales tax, you provide the merchant with your license or certificate number.
It’s important to understand that a resale number only entitles you to avoid sales tax for items that you will resell to customers. When you buy items for use in your own business, such as office or cleaning supplies, you are the end-user, and thus you are responsible for paying sales tax.
Tax ID Numbers
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number and is used to identify a business entity. Every business must have a Taxpayer Identification Number, which it uses not only when paying its own taxes, but also when withholding income and payroll taxes from workers’ pay and forwarding them to the government.
Having a Resale Certificate exempts a Wholesale customer from paying Sales Tax on their orders. Without this certificate on file, Wholesalers will be charged sales tax on all orders via the website.
Please have this certificate uploaded to our website as soon as possible.
How to find and upload your Resale Certificate:
- CLICK HERE to find your state’s resale certificate. Print it and fill it out.
- Scan the certificate and save it as a PDF or use a scanning app on your phone. Make sure you pay attention to where you save your document.
–HERE is a tutorial on how to do that with an Android Phone
–HERE is a tutorial on how to do that with an iPhone
–HERE is a tutorial on how to use a scanner and your computer.
- Scroll down on this page to the section titled: “Resale Certificate” and click “Add/Edit”.
- Click “Choose File” and navigate to where you saved your certificate and click on it.
- Click “Open” then click “Save”.
- Your document is now uploaded to our site.
If you have any questions, please contact your sales representative.